Monday, February 8, 2010

Board Meetings.

Despite my best efforts, there still seems to be some confusion about attendance at Board meetings, or what the Board does. I thought that some of this problem would be dispelled by the musings on this blog, but apparently, not everyone reads this blog. I've tried on the blog to let everyone know what the Board does, and to encourage people to come to our meetings, but I guess I need to try harder.

Our next Board meeting is February 17 at 7:00 p.m. I urge everyone to attend. While we might go into Executive Session to discuss sensitive matters (i.e., certain financial matters that we cannot spread around to the world), I'd anticipate that most of our business will be open.

As I've been saying for some time, the Board's focus is fundraising, evangelizing the merits of a Kadima education, general business and fiduciary matters and ensuring that the school is meeting its Mission. What we don't do is discuss the specifics of what is happening in the Second Grade, or what a teacher is doing a particular class. The Board has one employee--the Head of School--and works through the HOS to achieve its goals.

People often want to go to a Board meeting so they will "know what is going on." If people to do attend a meeting, they often leave disappointed, having discovered that what is "going on" is far less salacious or interested than they expected. The Board generally talks about how we are going to raise more money, how we are governing ourselves, and what the Board can do to assist the HOS in fulfilling the school's mission. It is interesting stuff; we have great discussions about what we want the school to be and how we can help the community reach these goals. Yet, it is not a gossip fest; nor is it a peek into the underside of the school.

Nonetheless, I still hope that we can get the community to come to our meetings and help us. That's how I got involved in the school; I started coming to meetings. And look what happened to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment