Friday, May 7, 2010

Foundations.

Earlier this week a group of us had a discussion about "why Jewish day school?" We often ask ourselves this on a regular basis because we recognize that we must have not only a good answer to this question, but a relevant one, so people will consider sending their kids to our school.

For me, it boils down largely to the fact that Jewish Day School is the best institution for providing a strong and deep foundation for Jewish learning. Having been taught Hebrew, having been taught that Judaism demands study, having been taught the foundations of Jewish thought, spirituality, observance, and tradition, the day school graduate can spend the rest of their lives--if they choose--pursuing a deep, intellectual, and educated commitment to Judaism far easier than someone who did not attend day school. This is not to say that a person who lacks an educational foundation of Judaism cannot live a committed, vibrant and meaningful Jewish life. After all, I didn't attend Jewish day school, and I like to think that I live a committed Jewish life. But it is to say that no matter how committed my Jewish life is, my lack of Hebrew, my gaps in foundational Jewish knowledge, all limit my ability to study Judaism. I could, of course, remedy those gaps, but it is far more difficult to do this as an adult than as a child.

There is, in the end, nothing that can provide the foundational and long lasting Jewish education as well as an effective Jewish day school. Supplemental school can't do it, Jewish camp can't do it, and membership a Jewish youth group can't do it. Each of these programs can do things that Jewish Day School may not, but they cannot provide the deep and rich Jewish education that only a day school can.

No comments:

Post a Comment